RE: New Year VR Question

Leonard, I think you must do user testing rather than asking opinions through email.

Here’s my take (which I’m not too proud of)

My understanding was that you entered stereographic display and then started your app (a web browser). Is there an additional setting in the web browser beyond stereographic display—can you detect 2 displays?

My memory of cardboard mode is very dim. It may even be a dream. I am trying to get some clarification.

If there are two displays and no WebVR available, then I would have a confirm dialog (yes/no) whether someone wants to enter VR.

If there’s only no or one display, I would set a cookie to the fallback option chosen (I’m assuming your app is heavily VR), and then proceed to do the fallback option.   Later, confirm the number of displays and provide a (yes/no) dialog to go through the fallback options, if the number of displays change.  If the number of displays stays the same, then mere have one confirm dialog confirming the cookie.  If they say no, then proceed to fallback options.   Provide one option to exit the application.

That’s the best I can think of without some serious UX testing and more systematic thinking—Perhaps you can find some UX testing research online?

Answer this question: what do YOU prefer?  If you’re ambivalent or jaded, present several alternate designs to someone fresh and get their feedback.  Provide the options in a mixed app environment (normal phone or device use).   Try to measure how surprised the user is or how natural the interface is for a person to navigate.

If something irks you, try something else.

Lastly, emulate someone else’s Look&Feel.  It’s best to get consistency.

If you’re trying to come up with a standard, especially do user testing of alternatives.

John

Sent from Mail for Windows 10