Re: ISSUE-71

On 6/09/2016 22:23, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> * Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com> [2016-09-06 11:16+1000]
>> On 6/09/2016 1:13, Karen Coyle wrote:
>>> ISSUE-71 is about validation that takes place within the SHACL validation
>>> workflow. If it were not, then it wouldn't be an issue and a requirement.
>> I believe what you are referring to (also on your edits to ISSUE-71 on the
>> Proposals page [1]) had previously been discussed under ISSUE-80 [2] which
>> was closed by introducing sh:stem. Although we had discussed the issue of
>> de-referencing resources at runtime a couple of times, I believe the
>> consensus was that this is opening a whole lot of complexity and that such a
>> feature is too big and too unwieldy for the Core language.
>>
>> [[elided dereferencing discussion]]
>>
>> Back to the topic of rules, having them as a separate deliverable is of
>> course also an option. If we do this, then I would hope that we can at least
>> mint some reserved URIs in the sh: namespace, to make the syntax easier to
>> use.
> I would expect that the AC would consider rules to be a radical
> departure from our charter and would require completely new approval
> and patent disclosures. We'd also want to reach out to the SWRL
> community as it is pretty actively used by e.g. Protege users. They
> probably have a greater claim than e.g. JESS because they work
> directly with RDF. The AC may be a bit nervous about this as RIF
> hasn't been an overwhelming success, but it seems reasonable to have a
> WG that makes that work more approachable by providing a SPARQL
> dialect.
>
> Is there any reason that rules are better done in the Data Shapes WG?

It would be mostly for practical purposes. There is no current WG that
could tackle SPARQL-based rules. Neither am I aware of plans to create
such a WG. The process would probably take another 2 years at minimum.
Meanwhile many practitioners use SPARQL-based rules (with our without
SPIN) on a daily basis. RIF seems to be rather dead, and SWRL is too
OWL-centric. Each database vendor invents their own variation of a
similar solution. A standard vocabulary would at least allow the
exchange of such rules across platforms.

A reason for doing it within SHACL is that SHACL is "almost there" and
has all the necessary infrastructure already in place. sh:rule would be
"just" a variant of sh:sparql (constraints), while the mechanisms to
operate on targets and focus nodes remain the same.

I would find it rather disappointing if formal process issues are
obstacles to sneaking such a useful feature in, although I acknowledge
that the process is there for good reasons. We can of course continue
with SPIN, if that's what W3C prefers.

Holger