From:   Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
To:     Dimitris Kontokostas <kontokostas@informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
Cc:     public-data-shapes-wg <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
Date:   10/02/2016 05:56 PM
Subject:        Re: shapes-ISSUE-181: SHACL conformance for partial
validation  reports [SHACL Spec]

Arnaud - see below. Could this be a discussion at an upcoming meeting to
see how others see filters and focus nodes? Should I make it an issue?

kc

On 10/2/16 6:24 AM, Dimitris Kontokostas wrote:

> [...]
>             described in the section on validation (3.0-3.3), which
>         however is
>             where the focus node IS what is being validated. I suspect
>         that at
>             least some of the references to "node" there should instead
be
>             "focus node". E.g. in the first sentence:
>
>             "The definitions for validating a data graph against a
>         shapes graph
>             as well as a *node* from the data graph against a shape from
the
>             shapes graph are provided below"
>
>             Is that *node* a focus node? If so, it should say focus node
>         there
>             and in the remainder of that section. Then, 3.4.1 Focus node
>         will
>             make more sense.
>

>         I reverted some of Holger's changes here wrt node->focus node
>
>         Focus node is defined in the terminology as: "A node in the data
>         graph
>         that is validated against a shape is called a focus node."
>
>         in the begining of section 4 (validation definitions) we want to
>         say how
>         to validate a node against a shape, as requested by the ShEx
>         requirements
>         meaning we take a node from the data graph and validate against
>         a shape
>         fromt he shapes graph, when the validation occus, that node
>         becomes a
>         focus node but the intent was to define the action prior to
>         validation.
>

>     Dimitris, I disagree here. I think that the node becomes the focus
>     node through the target/filter process, so at the point of
>     validation (comparison to the constraints) it is already the focus
>     node. Otherwise, you can't have a selected/targeted node to
>     validate. I believe that you are saying that constraints create the
>     focus node. That doesn't seem to be how it is described.
>
>     As an example, the property constraint section says:
>     "Property constraints specify conditions that must be met with
>     respect to nodes that can be reached from the focus node either by
>     directly following a given property (specified using sh:predicate)
>     or a given property path (specified using sh:path)."
>
>     So although you follow a property or path, you reach it from the
>     focus node. It doesn't say here that the property then becomes a new
>     focus node. If it is the intention that the focus node is modified
>     as constraints are applied, then that must be said in the document;
>     that there is an initial focus node, but that the focus changes as
>     constraints are followed.
>

> Hi Karen,
>
> I still think that these definition look at shapes & nodes at a little
> higher level.
> We have RDF nodes in the data graph that can be target nodes (when they
> are in the target of a shape) and *after* they pass the fliters of a
> shape they become "focus nodes" and the constraints are evaluated on
them.

Dimitris, the part of the spec we are talking about is the validation
section. If Filters take place as part of validation, then we should
move them to the validation section. If validation takes place after the
filters are applied, then at that point it is a focus node. My
understanding (and I would like to hear from others) is that the entire
process of validation takes place on focus nodes.

> However, I will not insist here, if you still think that we should
> replace node with focus node in the following definition let me know of
> you may also edit it directly
> "A node validates against a shape iff either it does not validate
> against some filter of the shape or none of the constraints in the shape
> produce a validation result or a failure for the node.

I'm also a bit concerned about that "iff" - while it is a commonly known
shorthand for "if and only if" it is not English language and not
universally known, so I think that "iff" should be written as "if and
only if" when used in a sentence. If the section were in an abstract
syntax then I think that "iff" would be appropriate. This section is not
that formal. I do find it used in W3C documents when describing formal
rules (see section 2.1 of the SWRL document [1]).

kc
[1] https://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/

https://www.w3.org/TR/shacl-ucr/#uc34-large-scale-dataset-validation