Re: Node vs focus node (Was: Re: shapes-ISSUE-181: SHACL conformance for partial validation reports [SHACL Spec])

I had some thoughts on this topic and wanted to run them by you.

Are there are some issues that stem from the spec assuming and trying to
describe a sequence of processing?

There are two process that take place: selection and validation. Selection
identifies nodes that are to be validated. It does so by comparing the data
graph to shapes and constraints. Validation determines whether the nodes
identified by the selection process obey the relevant constraints.

These two processes could theoretically run sequentially: first selection
which means all data is examined against all shapes and constraints in order
to identify all nodes that must be validated, then validation. They could
also be interleaved as in: some nodes are selected for validation,
validation starts and in the process of validation more nodes are selected.
Nevertheless, conceptually these are two separate processes.

I donšt think the spec should make assumptions about how they are
implemented algorithmically. It could simply define each process and talk
about them separately. I believe this approach may make the spec easier to
write and understand.

What do you think?

Irene