Re: ISSUE-140: Suggestion to close

> On 31/10/2016 23:46, Dimitris Kontokostas wrote:
>> I also feel that the core of Eric's issue is solved but if we go with
>> this PR as is, we move from one edge to another.
>> However, I also agree that targetNode can be an antipattern that we do
>> not want to promote so much with the spec
>> (binding shapes with specific nodes in advance)
>
> Yes, the main use case of sh:targetNode seems to be in test cases,
> examples and in scenarios where shapes graph = data graph. I believe
> sh:targetClass will be (by far) the most commonly used target type, and
> I'd prefer to switch to that wherever possible. Most data instances also
> have rdf:type triples, so it will be natural for people coming from
> RDFS/OWL to understand this.

I disagree that "most data instances will have rdf:type triples" or at
least if those triples exist then they will be useful. I've just munged
around in some big datasets whose types are not ones that I would use
for my purposes, nor would they be useful to me in validating. Because
RDF allows data to be defined with more than one set of type
declarations, types are the least predictable aspects of RDF data UNLESS
you are using data that you controlled in input. My case is that the
controlled data will be relatively easy to validate, but that my systems
need to be able to process data from literally thousands of sources
whose quality is not guaranteed. So leaning heavily on class
declarations for non-enterprise systems does not seem to me to be
feasible. I would like the document to give at least equal weight to
solutions that make use of rdf:type and those that do not.

>> Maybe we could try a mix of different target schemes as well as some
>> examples without targets.
>> But we should somehow differentiate the target-based validation with
>> the targetless/ShEx validation.
>
> My opinion remains that the examples should be self-contained. We do
> label these as "shapes graph" and "data graph". It should be possible to
> understand what is being validated by looking at the shapes graph. If we
> take out the targets then people will ask us, well why are those nodes
> being validated only, why not for example the objects or predicates of
> the data graph.
>
> By deleting the targets we *only* explain the targetless case. By
> keeping the targets we explain *both* cases.

The cases with targets are well explained in the section on targets.
What examples now in section 4 would cause people confusion? I think
it's easy to see what validates. A few examples with both targets and
constraints should clarify any questions.