Re: type and instance and subclass in SHACL documents

Irene, I think we're pretty close to seeing eye-to-eye, here. Your summary
of SHACL vs. RDFS's understandings of class membership seems correct to me.
Still, I don't think the problem reduces to whether the RDF(S) axioms are
included.

The issue, as I see it, is that RDFS terminology is regularly used without
clear definitions. The usual definitions are (somewhat vaguely) disavowed
in Section 1.1 (and sometimes elsewhere), but guidance for how to evaluate
whether a resource counts as an "instance" or a "class" is only provided
for narrow cases. Further, Section 1.1 is explicit that the usage is not
uniform.

To drive the point home: some cases are a significantly muddy. See, for
example, Section 2[0]:

    shapes are instances of the class sh:Shape (or subclasses of sh:Shape).

Here, I think we mean to say an RDF(S) instance(?). Using the only
alternate definition I can find in SHACL, there would need to be a triple
of the pattern `?s rdf:type sh:shape` in the *data* graph for a resource to
be a shape. In either case, it's unclear whether subclass transitivity
applies here.

That these specialized, pattern driven concepts are semantically overloaded
with terms in common use places a burden on the reader/implementer to peel
apart one meaning from the other. My preferred solution would be to expand
Section 1.1 with formal guidance, mark exceptional cases in the text
clearly, and (ideally, but optionally) avoid RDF(S) language in normative
clauses (i.e. treat "class", "instance", etc... as different but
intuitively related concepts to those handled in SHACL evaluation).

The issue of whether axioms from RDF[1] and RDFS[2] can be assumed is
another source of conflicts. It seems somewhat clear to me that the
intention is that they should *never* be assumed; but as an implementer, I
wouldn't be totally confident. Section 1.1 clarifies that they aren't to be
used "When determining subclass and instance relationships". If RDFS
entailment is added in the way described in Section 12, do examples like
Peter's (ones that reference RDFS terms directly) evaluate differently?
Could this have unexpected consequences?

I agree that all of this could and should have been stated much more
clearly; it could have saved everyone (including myself) a lot of
intellectual labor in understanding the point, and the group several days
of back and forth.

Best,

Tom

[0] https://www.w3.org/TR/shacl/#h-shape