Re: shapes-ISSUE-91 (hsolbrig): Default Cardinality [SHACL Spec]

Karen, I think you meant open shapes and closed shapes, not open and closed graphs which is not something the group has defined.

Even without cardinality, there is typically some other constraint - that is a constraint on the value. Further, one could specify only minCardinality or only maxCardinality, leaving the other one to default. With this, not specifying constraints for both min and max cardinality ( or even for neither) would not be meaningless from the data validation perspective - there are still things to check with open shapes.

I think there are two criteria to consider regarding default:

1. Intuitiveness

To me, if there is no cardinality constraint stated, the intuitive interpretation is that there is no constraint.

2. Verbosity

This, of course, will very much depend on the model, but we can look the commonly used vocabularies such as SKOS. Expressing SKOS in SHACL for constraint checking would be much more verbose if the default min 1, max 1. Majority of SKOS properties are min 0, max unlimited.

We could look it other models as well.  I find that proportion of properties that are {min 1, max 1} is much smaller than properties that are either {min 0, max unlimited} or {min 1, max unlimited} or {min 0, max 1 (or some other number)}. All of these would require more verbosity if the default was min 1, max 1.

Sent from my iPhone