Re: Follow-up on Michel's comment

On 3/20/2015 11:49, Michel Dumontier wrote:
> Hi Holger,
>   I might suggest that we look at what other WGs have produced. For
> instance, the OWL WG produced a number of documents to lay out the
> syntax, semantics, profiles, etc [1]. Similarly, the SPARQL 1.1
> working produced a collection of documents [2] to address different
> issues, and to ensure completeness for each. Given the breadth of
> topics, it seems like a worthy idea for this WG to consider as well.

The SPARQL spec is basically a single large document that even includes
the Grammar and Definition of SPARQL. As stated by Arthur, many people
use this as a reference to look up details about SPARQL. It is
convenient that they only need to look at a single place (with text
search etc). For those users who will use both the high-level features
and SPARQL, it will be unnecessarily complex to switch between two
documents.

With OWL 2, the situation was more complex because OWL's language stack
is much more complex than SHACL. Yet the main document (the Structural Spec)

     http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-owl2-syntax-20121211/

basically includes all overall features in a single place, and then the
sub-sets are formally defined in a Profiles document

     http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-owl2-profiles-20121211/

That's how I would organize the SHACL spec too, only that the SHACL core
profile only needs a single sentence to explain, so there is no need to
turn that into its own document.

Thanks,
Holger