Re: Human-readable error messages in an R2RML validator

On 3/20/2015 22:01, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> An advantage of using templates for the validation messages, rather than producing a string message through a SPARQL expression, is that we can format the nodes nicely or make things interactive. For example, the {object} placeholder in the R2RML validator will intelligently pretty-print the node in Turtle style as a prefixed name, full URI, literal, or blank node, using the prefix mapping of the file under validation. And in a hypothetical graphical environment, URI nodes in the rendered message could be rendered using its rdfs:label, and still be made clickable.

Absolutely. Indeed we use SPIN label templates for the same purpose in
various TopBraid user interfaces.

> Not having thought about it too much, my intuition is that instead of
> conditional insertion, I’d prefer the option of having multiple
> template strings on a single constraint. Only those where all
> placeholders have bound values in the validation data structure would
> produce a message.

This sounds like a good idea!

I will add some TODO item to the sh:message to make sure we revisit this
topic once there is time for such details.

Thanks,
Holger