From:  Jose Emilio Labra Gayo <jelabra@gmail.com>
Date:  Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 9:45 AM
To:  Irene Polikoff <irene@topquadrant.com>
Cc:  Dean Allemang <dallemang@workingontologist.com>, Holger Knublauch
<holger@topquadrant.com>, RDF Data Shapes Working Group
<public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
Subject:  Re: On the inevitability of SPARQL/SPIN for SHAQL

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 1:06 PM, Irene Polikoff <irene@topquadrant.com>
wrote:
> <Because "SPARQL queries cannot easily be inspected and understood, either by
> human beings or by machines, to uncover the constraints that are to be
> respected". [1]>
>
> I believe this has already been addressed by SHACL.

Not if we don't have a set of well defined constructs with a clear semantics
and we limit SHACL to have a single "template" construct where we can put
any SPARQL code.

> Further, at this point, we should be working from requirements, not from the
> workshop results. The working group supersedes previous requirements work by
> either turning whatever has been said before its start into its set of
> accepted requirements or not.
>
> If you think there is a missing requirement, propose it. Then, it could be
> reviewed, shared understanding formed, accepted and the solution evaluated
> against it.

There is no missing requirement. The requirement has already been approved.
See [1]

[1]
http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Requirements#Higher-Level_Language

--