Re: On the inevitability of SPARQL/SPIN for SHAQL

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Irene Polikoff <irene@topquadrant.com>
wrote:

> Jose,
>
> So, your proposal is not about actually using XPath as some of your
> previous emails have suggested by saying, for example, that all XPath tools
> would support this language. Correct?

I was talking about the same subset of XPath functions that is used in the
Filter Expressions in SPARQL...as Richard said, you can call it Sparql
expressions...but notice that it is not "full SPARQL", those are mainly
some common built-in functions and operators that can be useful to handle
constraints that involve things like arithmetic and string operations.

That subset has a simple semantics that we can leverage on and does not
have the complexity of the full SPARQL.

Anyway, I had proposed it as one of two possible solutions to handle
complex constraints. The other possibility is just to use the extensibility
mechanism which would allow any SPARQL query.

I now believe you are proposing designing a new language that, like SPARQL,
> would operate on RDF graphs to match graph patterns and bind variables and,
> like SPARQL, would include functions and operators (e.g., addition)
> borrowing definitions of some of these from XQuery/XPath.
>
> Why should this group take on such undertaking instead of reusing already
> existing language produced by W3C?

Because "SPARQL queries cannot easily be inspected and understood, either
by human beings or by machines, to uncover the constraints that are to be
respected". [1]

Best regards, Jose Labra

[1] Conclusions of RDF Validation Workshop.
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/rdf-val/report

--
-- Jose Labra