Re: On the inevitability of SPARQL/SPIN for SHAQL

From: Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 15:11:18 +1000
To: RDF Data Shapes Working Group <public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org>
On 3/3/2015 14:59, Jose Emilio Labra Gayo wrote:

>     Why should this group take on such undertaking instead of reusing
>     already existing language produced by W3C?
>

> Because "SPARQL queries cannot easily be inspected and understood,
> either by human beings or by machines, to uncover the constraints that
> are to be respected". [1]

Jose, the sentence following your excerpt above is

"The term 'shape' emerged as a popular label for these constraints."

I believe this clarifies that the group was not contrasting SPARQL with
something like XPath, but rather SPARQL versus the high-level vocabulary
of sh:minCount and sh:valueType. A new language such as a
yet-to-be-defined variant of XPath or a yet-to-be-defined subset of
SPARQL's FILTER expressions would arguably have the same basic
characteristics as SPARQL itself.