Re: On the inevitability of SPARQL/SPIN for SHAQL

On 3/2/2015 14:44, Karen Coyle wrote:
> All of that assumes that other execution languages are possible. If
> they are not, then we should give up the facade of being "execution
> language neutral."

I believe it's important to maintain flexibility because we cannot
anticipate how and where SHACL will be used in the future. In TopBraid
we already support JavaScript embedding in SPIN functions. I would not
be surprised if SHACL gets picked up by some people in conjunction with
JSON-LD, and some sort of JavaScript API may emerge out of this that is
perhaps easier to execute on clients against vanilla JSON objects. And
that could make it into a self-contained add-on deliverable of a future
SHACL WG, similar to a potential XPath-based add-on.

Likewise, I expect 3rd party template libraries to emerge, perhaps
custom-tailored for popular ontologies such as schema.org. It will be
useful if people can add executable bodies in multiple languages to
those de-facto standard libraries.

Yet for SHACL 1.0, I agree with Peter that SPARQL is *inevitable*.
Instead of regarding SPARQL as a necessary evil, I am however certainly
embracing it as an opportunity.

Holger