Re: On the inevitability of SPARQL/SPIN for SHAQL

From: Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 20:44:33 -0800
To: public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org

> Which parts of SHACL do *depend* on SPARQL?

"	SPARQL is a built-in execution language in SHACL, but other languages
may be supported in the future or by third parties."

At the f2f meeting, we resolved:

"RESOLUTION: Define semantics using SPARQL as much as possible"

I read that as being different from a "built-in execution language." As
it seemed at the time, we were agreeing on providing the document with
examples and explanations using SPARQL. We did not agree that we were
defining SPARQL as the built-in execution language -- our discussion was
about the document, not the implementation of SHACL.

This would also mean the removal of section 15 to a separate document
that defines a SPARQL implementation. Each "execution language" would
then be defined in a document separate from the primary SHACL document.

All of that assumes that other execution languages are possible. If they
are not, then we should give up the facade of being "execution language
neutral."

kc
--
Karen Coyle