Re: On the inevitability of SPARQL/SPIN for SHAQL

On 3/2/15 6:42 AM, Jose Emilio Labra Gayo wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Holger Knublauch
> <holger@topquadrant.com <mailto:holger@topquadrant.com>> wrote:
>
>     Jose,
>
>     ok, I believe I can now better understand why you are voting
>     against the requirements
>
>     https://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Requirements#Expressivity:_Basic_Graph_Patterns
>     https://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/Requirements#Expressivity:_Aggregations
>
>     because XPath cannot handle them. How inconvenient... ;)
>

> No that was not the reason. The reason was, and still is, that they
> were described in terms of SPARQL features.

I would appreciate if someone could suggest a re-wording of the Basic
Graph Patterns requirement that doesn't use SPARQL features. This is
very critical to almost every project that I have seen (and is the
backbone of SPARQL), so I do not believe we can live without this
requirement. The User Stories are full of examples that use Basic Graph
Patterns. I guess almost every Global Constraint requires mechanisms to
bind graph patterns to variables.

Thanks,
Holger