Re: ISSUE-5 Definition of Resource

On 1/8/15 3:06 PM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> A resource is anything.  Not all resources are identifiable.  Not all
> identifiable resources are identifiable via URIs.  Not all resources that
> are
> identifiable via URIs are identifiable via HTTP URIs.

As defined:

"The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a framework for expressing
information about resources. Resources can be anything, including
documents, people, physical objects, and abstract concepts."[1]

[Note Dick Cheney is in there.]

*****
2.1 rdfs:Resource

All things described by RDF are called resources, and are instances of
the class rdfs:Resource. This is the class of everything. All other
classes are subclasses of this class. rdfs:Resource is an instance of
rdfs:Class.[2]
*****

As I read this, the term "RDF resource" is limited to a particular use
in RDF specifications, and is defined broadly but does not go beyond the
function of RDF. Nothing about "RDF resource" is particular to the
technology of IRIs, literals, or datatypes. On the other hand,
rdfs:Resource has a precise technical definition which does include
IRIs, literals, datatypes (and blank nodes).

Given that "Resources can be anything" one must not conclude that they
have to be "everything." There is a difference between potential scope
and necessary scope.

I think trying to get specific about the term "resource" in the context
of RDF is a fool's errand, and it is definitely inappropriate to attempt
to extend a definition beyond RDF specification (e.g. to Resource
Shapes). It is even more clear to me that the term "resource" cannot be
restricted to its RDF definition (if we could find that described more
specifically than what I cite above) except in very particular
circumstances. (I am beginning to think that all terms incorporated into
specifications should be identified with IRIs; any term not identified
with an IRI can devolve to its natural language meaning.) To use a term
like "resource" in text and expect readers to ignore the natural
language meaning of the term is to ignore issues of communication. We
can designate "RDF resource" as defined above, but we cannot hijack the
meaning of "resource", which already has a meaning outside of these
documents.

"RDF resource" and "Resource Shapes resource" are different concepts.
And the cultural heritage community will continue to refer to
"bibliographic resources" and "archival resources" because that is
precisely what we mean.

kc

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-rdf11-primer-20140624/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/REC-rdf-schema-20140225/#ch_resource