Re: Update and opportunities with SHACL

> This is not the goal. SPARQL is not an extension language but a genuine
part of SHACL.

I'm tempted to read this as "SPARQL is a subset of SHACL" (and I think it's
strictly true, on a current reading), but I suspect you might me something
different... under the current description, JavaScript is also a subset,
yes?

> You can define new (named) shapes that combine other shapes, e.g. using
sh:OrConstraint. This is a simple macro mechanism. Do you have examples of
what you believe is missing?

Unfortunately, I've had to keep my comments to date at a high level, since
I haven't had enough time to try to do anything real. I understand that
there's a limited impact they can have unless and until I can provide some
concrete suggestions. For now, I think I have to stick to "my high level
concern is that SHACL is leaning too hard on SPARQL for too simple of
expressions".

>  We want things to evolve even after the WG has ended. Few Java
developers are content to use just the Java Standard Library.

At the risk of being too blunt, few Java developers would be excited about
writing their abstract classes in SPARQL, either.

- Tom