Re: proposal to close ISSUE-75 with a result vocabulary extension

On 8/1/2015 23:39, Dimitris Kontokostas wrote:
> Issue 75 needs a way to distinguish violations from errors
>
> The reason the current result vocabulary cannot handle such cases is
> because it is centered around the actual violation instances and thus,
> when an error that cannot produce a violation instance occurs the
> current modeling cannot capture it.
> I do not suggest to change the current design which I find helpful in
> many use cases but we can provide an alternative representation that
> captures the result executions. This is also related to my proposed
> resolution of ISSUE-51.
>
> I suggest we create a new class sh:StatusResult rdfs:subClassOf
> sh:AbstractResult
> that inherits the sh:source from sh:AbstractResult (based on my
> proposal in issue-51)
> and additionally has a property sh:status that represents the status
> of a shape/facet execution:
>
> The values it can take can be:
> sh:Success # no errors found
> sh:Fail # one or more errors found
> sh:Error # an error during execution occurred
> sh:timeout # a timeout occurred
>
> The user can request the preferred result type at execution time. or
> maybe there is a default format (e.g. the current) if no input is given.
>
> This suggestion is based on the following diagram
> https://github.com/AKSW/RDFUnit/blob/master/ns/rdfunit_ontology_diagram.png
>
> In RDFUnit this result type is also extended with a second class (e.g.
> sh:AggregatedResult) to provide the number of errors found and the
> error prevalence. This is open to the WG to accept or not.

In a parallel email [1] I have just proposed to add sh:FailureResult and
the sh:Failure types, to implement your suggestion. I don't think we
need to return anything on Success, and it would make our lives easier
if the result graph simply remains empty if everything went alright.
(Happy to be convinced otherwise, as usual).

Holger

[1]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-data-shapes-wg/2015Aug/0002.html