RE: Shapes, Individuals, and Classes - OSLC Motivations

Eric,

Exactly, and OSLC does in fact reuse DC terms as much as possible.
Arthur Ryman
Chief Data Officer
SWG | Rational
905.413.3077 (phone) | 416.939.5063 (cell)
IBM InterConnect 2015

"Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org> wrote on 11/11/2014 04:59:35 PM:

> From: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
> To: Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA,
> Cc: public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org
> Date: 11/11/2014 04:59 PM
> Subject: RE: Shapes, Individuals, and Classes - OSLC Motivations
>
> * Arthur Ryman <ryman@ca.ibm.com> [2014-11-11 16:29-0500]
> > Irene,
> >
> > The triple "project1:customerReference rdfs:domain
oslc_cm:ChangeRequest"
> > is not a constraint. It is an inference rule that states if you have a

> > triple "X project1:customerReference Y" then you can infer a triple "X

> > rdf:tytpe oslc_cm:ChangeRequest".
> >
> > What we want in the OSLC use case is for the web application that
hosts
> > the resources that belong to project1 to advertise the fact there is a
new
> > property "project1:customerReference", which is an extension to the
OSLC
> > CM specification. This is allowed by the OSLC CM specification since
it
> > specifies an open content model. A resource of type
oslc_cm:ChangeRequest
> > is allowed to have properties not defined by the OSLC CM
specification.

> > OSLC adopts the design principles of Linked Data. Roughly, this is
REST +
> > RDF. OSLC does not depend on RDFS or OWL terms that require
inferencing.
> > OSLC does provide vocabulary documents using RDFS and OWL annotation
> > terms. A compliant OSLC implementation does not require an RDFS or OWL

> > reasoner. This choice was made in order to lower the implementation
burden
> > for existing web applications to provide Linked Data interfaces.
> >
> > As far as OSLC is concerned, rdf:type is simply another property. It
has
> > no OO connotations. The RDF representation of an HTTP resource is
simply a
> > set of triples. The URI of the resource itself will normally be the
> > subject node of many of the triples and it will normally have one or
more
> > rdf:type triples.
> >
> > In the world of Linked Data, it does not make sense for project 1 to
have
> > its own definition of oslc_cm:ChangeRequest since
oslc_cm:ChangeRequest is

https://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/wiki/User_Stories#S24:_Open_Content_Mode

> > Arthur Ryman
> > Chief Data Officer
> > SWG | Rational
> > 905.413.3077 (phone) | 416.939.5063 (cell) IBM InterConnect 2015
> >

> > From:   "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> > To:     Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA,
> > Cc:     public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org
> > Date:   11/06/2014 12:14 PM
> > Subject:        Re: Shapes, Individuals, and Classes - OSLC
Motivations

> > I still don't know what "custom" means here with respect to RDF.  As
far
> > as
> > I can tell any bit of an ontology, or class, or property, or
constraint,
> > or
> > shape could be called "custom".  Now it may be that within OSLC there
is
> > some notion of custom vs non-custom, but how can that notion be
removed
> > from
> > OSLC so that it can be used elsewhere?
> >
> > Similarly, the notions of "specification", "implementation",
"project",
> > etc., appear to me to be specific to OSLC, and particular to the
design
> > methodology you outline below, and using them to drive a spec could, I
> > think, tie that
> >
> > spec quite closely to the design methodology.
> >

> > As a contrast, here is what I believe should be used to say that
classes
> > and
> > shapes/constraints are decoupled.
> >
> > Definition:  Classes and shapes/constraints are decoupled if the
> > specification can use different sets of shapes/constraints on the same
> > class.  For example, if the specification permits the ontology
> >    ex:Person rdf:type rdfs:Class .
> >    ex:name rdf:type rdf:Property .
> >    ex:name rdfs:domain ex:Person .
> > to be used with the constraint set
> >    ex:Person < exists ex:name
> > (every person has a "known" value for its name) or used with the
> > constraint
> > set
> >    ex:Person < all ex:name xsd:string
> > (all "known" names of people are strings) then it will be said to
allow
> > the
> > decoupling of constraints/shapes and classes.
> >

> > A stronger notion would be that shapes/constraints are independent of
> > classes.
> >   This could be defined as:
> >
> > Definition:  Classes and shapes/constraints are independent if some
> > shapes/constraints do not use class membership in their definition.
For
> > example, the following constraint is class-independent:
> >    exists ex:name < exactly 1 ex:name
> > (if something has a "known" name then it has exactly one "known" name)
> >

> > peter
> >

> > On 11/06/2014 04:59 AM, Arthur Ryman wrote:
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > > OSLC defines specification for RDF representation of resources in
> > several
> > > domains, e.g. Requirements, Quality, Change Management etc. A
> > > specification typically defines a class and several properties.
> > > Implementations are allowed to add new RDF properties but they don't

> > > necessarily introduce new RDF classes. Furthermore, within an
> > > implementation, users may add custom RDF properties on a
> > > project-by-project basis, but that doesn't change the RDF class.
> > Therefore
> > > different projects use different Shapes but the Shapes only differ
by
> > RDF
> > > properties, not RDF classes. That is what I mean by decoupling
Shapes

public-data-shapes-wg@w3.org,