Re: use case: NetCDF data

On 26 February 2014 10:40, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> On 25 Feb 2014, at 23:18 , Tandy, Jeremy <jeremy.tandy@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stasinos … thanks for the use cases you’ve provided so far.
>>
>> Looking at your NetCDF data use case, I wonder if non-textual tabular data is in scope. The discussion on the “Scoping Question” thread in the mailing list seemed to suggest that we would focus on textual tabular data.
>>
>> Before progressing, I wanted to get your thoughts and gather input from the other WG participants.
>
> Well... I did not know NetCDF before, so I peeked around a bit. I may have missed some details, but the impression is that this is, primarily, a set of utilities in various programming languages to handle tabular data that is in some internal format. They do have some ways of dumping data in terms of text:
>
> http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/data/ascii-howto.html
>
> and, as far as I could see some of the examples there the output is 'simply' CSV (well, probably TSV or 'SSV', ie, 'space separated values').
>
> I would support Jeremy's formulation, that we focus on 'textual tabular data'.

That's alright, and it will keep hell's gates slightly less widely
open. We still have Eric's examples of metadata headers.

NetCDF also forsees a single metadata description covering multiple
data files, but I believe this to be a more general concern as there
are many instances of homogeneous CSV data files that can better be
described at one shot.

Best,