Re: use case: NetCDF data

On 25 Feb 2014, at 23:18 , Tandy, Jeremy <jeremy.tandy@metoffice.gov.uk> wrote:

> Hi Stasinos … thanks for the use cases you’ve provided so far.
>
> Looking at your NetCDF data use case, I wonder if non-textual tabular data is in scope. The discussion on the “Scoping Question” thread in the mailing list seemed to suggest that we would focus on textual tabular data.
>
> Before progressing, I wanted to get your thoughts and gather input from the other WG participants.

Well... I did not know NetCDF before, so I peeked around a bit. I may have missed some details, but the impression is that this is, primarily, a set of utilities in various programming languages to handle tabular data that is in some internal format. They do have some ways of dumping data in terms of text:

http://www.narccap.ucar.edu/data/ascii-howto.html

and, as far as I could see some of the examples there the output is 'simply' CSV (well, probably TSV or 'SSV', ie, 'space separated values').

I would support Jeremy's formulation, that we focus on 'textual tabular data'.

Ivan

P.S. There was a French Prime Minister in the late 80's who once said: 'we cannot solve all the miseries of the world':-)

> Many thanks, Jeremy

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Activity Lead