Re: [css-values] possible circular dependency of lh unit

Le 2018-10-31 17:23, Florian Rivoal a écrit :
>> On Oct 25, 2018, at 22:16, Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Le 2018-10-24 20:12, Amelia Bellamy-Royds a écrit :
>>> Hi Gérard,
>>> There's a paragraph at the end of the section on font-relative units
>>> that
>>> explains how circular references are avoided.
>>> https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values-4/#font-relative-lengths

[I initially wanted to reply in the www-style mailing list but I hit the
wrong email address when sending email.]

>> Hello Amelia,
>>
>> Thank you for your response. I missed that.
>>
>> [snipped]

>> [snipped]
>>
>> I am also confused about the meaning of that parg with regards to one
>> particular code scenario.
>>
>> Let's postulate that the computed metrics corresponding to the initial
>> value of the line-height is 19.2px and that the initial font size
>> value for the root element is 16px (these values are usually in effect
>> in the CSS tests). Then what is the used font size for the root
>> element in this rule:
>>
>> html {font-size: 2lh;} /* I think it should be 38.4px */
>
> With the above assumptions, yes.
>
>> Why that particular parg says "initial values of the font" and not
>> "initial values of the font size"? And why not initial value of font
>> size *or* line-height?
>
> I am unsure about the difference you make between "and" and "or" in
> this sentence.

Florian,

You figured this "and" versus "or" out in another email. If initial
'line-height' value is 'normal', then you need to know the font-family
and font-size in order to convert into a computed value.

Gérard