Re: What's the difference between AHEM____.TTF and ahem3.ttf ?

Le 2016-07-26 16:02, fantasai a écrit :
> On 03/24/2016 01:26 PM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Gérard Talbot
>> <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>>> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/ahem/
>>> AHEM____.TTF      2014-05-30 00:04   12K
>>>
>>> http://test.csswg.org/source/fonts/
>>> ahem3.ttf         2014-05-30 00:04   14K
>>>
>>> What is the adequate usage for ahem3.ttf ?
>>>
>>> In what way is ahem3.ttf different (or better) from (than)
>>> AHEM____.TTF ?
>>
>> I asked this question last November in
>> <https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2015Nov/0007.html>,
>> which covered a bit of background about what the differences are, and
>> the difference in licenses. I seem to remember trying to resolve this
>> back in 2010, but I have no idea how. Sadly, nobody seems to know
>> anymore…
>
> Okay, I called up Arron Eicholz. Apparently this is a replacement
> of the old Ahem font, that includes some glyphs above the ASCII
> range

Which glyphs above the ASCII range ?

I would try to use such glyphs in my tests and testing... if I knew
which codepoint render which shape ...

> to allow testing it. It was created by Sergei at Microsoft.
>
> We should probably move it into the ahem/ directory and replace
> the AHEM____.TTF file. There are two ways of doing that:
>
> a) Replace AHEM____.TTF
> b) Delete AHEM____.TTF and move ahem3.ttf to fonts/ahem.ttf

a) or b) are okay with me; either one is okay with me... as long as the
textual description [1] is updated to include the new codepoints
corresponding to the shapes. One shape seems to be an hollow black
square above the alphabetic baseline.

> I'm not sure what's up with the AHEM____.TTF naming, if it indicates
> some kind of special compatibility with ancient Windows systems or
> what...

I do not know either why the 4 underscore characters in the font name

[1]
https://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/Fonts/Ahem/

Gérard

--