Re: Browser detection for shepherd/css test runner

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 22:42:37 +0100
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
To: Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>

> On 27 Mar 2015, at 22:09, Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> looking at the icons on
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#abspos-items, and test results
> like http://test.csswg.org/harness/details/css-flexbox-1_dev/flexbox-abspos-child-001b/engine/webkit/,
> it seems that the test runner considers Chrome to be Webkit.
>
> That is bad. Chrome does not use Webkit anymore, and there is
> definitely divergence between the two. Conversely, Presto is not so
> important anymore.
>
> Any chance of getting this updated?

Completely agree with you with regards to Chrome.

As for Presto, it is certainly of quickly declining relevance, but there are still a few areas where it supports features not supported in other browsers, or conforms better than other browsers. I think we should keep it for a while longer. As it provides useful information to the people working on the spec or the tests.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with a little tongue-in-cheek challenge to other browsers ("Even old Presto gets this right!").

 - Florian