Re: [css-writing-modes-3] text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001 and its reference file

On 07/05/2015 12:50 AM, Koji Ishii wrote:
> Inline:
>
>> On Jul 5, 2015, at 10:48 AM, Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>>
>> Koji,
>>
>> This is just in case you are not already aware of this...
>>
>> [src]
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html
>>
>> [nightly-unstable]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm
>>
>> [reference src]
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/css-writing-modes-3/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.html
>>
>> [reference nightly-unstable]
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/reference/text-combine-upright-inherit-all-001.htm
>>
>> The reference file should not use text-combine-horizontal property and no vendor prefix. As it is (right now), it's just a copy of the test.
>
> Tried that, but pixel images do not match due to some layouts involved by text-combine-upright.
>
> It does pass on browsers that do not support text-combine-upright at all, that’s unfortunate, but there are several other tests that tests the support of the property, and since this test is specifically testing its inheritability, I think that’s ok.
>
> If you have ideas to test inheritability that fails nicely for non-supported browsers, that’s appreciated, but when it’s hard, I think that’s ok, no?

Koji, the test is completely invalid. As Gérard wrote, the reference is
*just a copy of the test*. Such a reftest will never, ever fail on any
real implementation ever.

The reference file must be the same effect by some *alternative* method.
Otherwise you are just testing that two identical source files render
identically--which is useless.

If you are trying to test if
renders the same as
then your test file should use
while your reference file uses
Then you are actually testing if the two *different* sources render
equivalently, and the test has some meaning.

~fantasai