Re: css3-border-image-repeat-stretch

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/css3-border-image-repeat-stretch.htm

> says "The test passes if the blue diamond is stretching between the
> red diamonds. "
>
> Perhaps the support image has changed since the test was written?

I think there is more reasons ...

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/support/border.png
> has orange diamonds between the red ones.

The test is not perfectly precise! The original image

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/support/border.png

is 81px by 81px with 3 by 3 diamonds and so a slice should be 27px and
not 26px. And I can see Firefox 31 and Chrome 36.0.1985.143 displaying a
tiny line of light orange (it's actually difficult for me to describe;
best is to toggle tabs from test to reftest to see such tiny line).

The images

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/support/red-diamond.png

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/support/blue-diamond.png

are 26px by 26px and the reftest

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/reference/css3-border-image-repeat-stretch-ref.htm

do not show such tiny lines. So, an automated checking would most likely
result in a false negative... because of such 1px difference.

So, yes, the test definitely needs to be redone.

-----------

A) As noted before, red should be used to indicate failure. So, the red
diamonds should be replaced with another color: blue diamond and orange
diamond is my proposal.

B)
<title>CSS Border Test:border image repeat property with value
stretch</title>

should be better replaced with

<title>CSS Backgrounds and Borders Test: 'border-image-repeat' property
with value stretch</title>

C)
Filename with the "css3-" chunk is not needed, not useful and not given
in the format guidelines and so it should be removed. So,

css3-border-image-repeat-stretch.htm

could be filename-renamed to

border-image-repeat-stretch-001.htm

D)
The associated reftest

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-backgrounds-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/reference/css3-border-image-repeat-stretch-ref.htm

has other issues.

Its <title> should be

<title>CSS Reftest Reference</title>

instead of

<title>CSS Border Test:border image repeat property with value
stretch</title>

Its filename should also be renamed accordingly to
border-image-repeat-stretch-001-ref.htm

D) The alt attribute of the images in the reftest should use

alt="Image download support must be enabled"

so that anyone can immediately notice a problem if the image do not load
or are not fetched. The current alt text of images should be used as
identifiers instead.

Eg in the code:

#red1
should be instead
#top-left-red

E) There are more than 1 blue diamond that are stretched; so I think the
sentence should be saying (plural instead of singular):

Test passes if 4 blue diamonds stretch between 4 orange diamonds.

Gérard

+CC: yanshasha, author of the test and Dayang Shen, reviewer of the test
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011