Re: [css3-multicol] Review of multicol-block-clip-001

Le Jeu 25 juillet 2013 18:17, Håkon Wium Lie a écrit :
> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>
>  > >   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widows_and_orphans
>  >
>  > Text editors like MS-Word97, MS-Word2003, MS-Word2007, MS-Word2013,
>  > LibreOffice (Writer) 3.x and 4.x also have orphan and widow as a
>  > settable preference for paragraph.
>
> Right. Like:
>
>   p { widows: 1; orhphans: 1 }
>
>  > > So, I'd argue that 'orphans' and 'widows' should apply to columns
> as
>  > > well,
>  >
>  > 'orphans' and 'widows' apply to block containers; and so it does to
>  > multi-column too. But it only makes sense in paged media.
>
> We may have to agree to disagree here. However, let me offer a
> real-world example where I think orhphan/widow control is useful
> beyond page media.
>
> Wikipedia uses multicol layout for references. E.g. here:
>
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_Style_Sheets
>
> Widow/orphan control are useful to ensure that a reference isn't split
> across two columns.

I went to that page and all I could find possibly relevant in the
external stylesheets was

p{widows:3;orphans:3}

At this precise URL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_Style_Sheets#References

I found:

30em; -webkit-column-width: 30em; column-width: 30em; list-style-type:
decimal;">
<ol class="references">
(...)

To prevent a reference to be split across 2 columns, wouldn't you need
to code something like:

ol.references > li {break-inside: avoid-column; }

/*
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#break-before-break-after-break-inside
*/

This is how I would create a rule to prevent a reference from being
split across 2 columns.

Also, still at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_Style_Sheets#References
I resized (enlarged) my viewport and some li and reference links are
split across 2 columns.

>  > > Therefore, I don't think the tests should punish implementations
> who
>  > > apply this.
>  >
>  > It would not punish any implementations if 'orphans: 1' and 'widows:
> 1'
>  > were to be removed.
>
> I thought a passing implementation stopped passing once you removed
> these declarations?

Yes. Opera 12.16 rendering (in media screen) is different if 'orphans:
1' is removed (or toggled off in DragonFly) in this test:

http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-block-clip-001.xht

and I thought this must be the result of a bug.

I have not checked yet with Prince what happens if 'orphans: 1' and/or
'widows: 1' is/are removed.

Gérard

>  > > Removing the explicit "screen" media type seems like an elegant
>  > > solution to me. It makes tests simpler, and it means that
> page-centric
>  > > implementations also can run the tests (both Prince and
> AntennaHouse
>  > > have mature multicol implementations).
>  >
>  > Okay. I'm going to keep 'widows: 1' and 'orphans: 1' as they are
>  > declared in tests.
>  >
>  > I would appreciate if you could explain what 'widows: 0' and
> 'orphans:
>  > 0' is supposed to be doing in a bunch of tests then? Are those really
>  > required by those tests? I don't think so...
>
> You're right -- those declarations have illegal values and they should
> be deleted.
>
> -h&kon
>               Håkon Wium Lie                          CTO °þe®ª
> howcome@opera.com                  http://people.opera.com/howcome

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: