[css3-multicol] Review of multicol-fill-auto-block-children-002 proposed replacement

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-fill-auto-block-children-002-GT.xht

>> In 002 test, if the UA supports multi-column but *_does NOT
>> implement_*
>> column-span accordingly, then there will be more space available for
>> the
>> "PASS!" word which will be painted inside the large blue rectangular
>> area.
>>
>> In 002 test, if the UA supports multi-column and *_does implement_*
>> column-span accordingly, then there will not be sufficient available
>> space for the "PASS!" word and it will be rendered outside (on the
>> right) the large blue rectangular area and it will be viewable since
>> it
>> will be displayed as blue on white area.
>

> 002 test's expected result:
>

>   8px                                           688px
>   v                                              v
>   ************************************************
>   *                                              *
>   *  <h1>Test passes if the word "PASS!" is      *  1st line box
>   *  displayed.</h1>                             *  2nd line box
>   *                                              *
>   ************************************************
>   *                                              *
>   * <h2>nbsp;<h2>  <h2>nbsp;<h2>  <h2>nbsp;<h2>  *  <h2>PASS!</h2>
>   *                                              *
>   ************************************************
>                 ^              ^
>                228px          458px
>

> Gérard
>

>> I've tested both tests carefully and this should work.
>>
>> Firefox 22, Chrome 28.0.1500.95 do not support appropriately
>> column-span
>> (even with vendor-prefixes) and so, in 002 test, the "PASS!" word is
>> painted inside the blue area.
>>
>> Opera 12.16 supports appropriately column-span but then it seems to
>> have
>> a color issue, at least Presto v. 2.12.388, build 1860, i686 (32bits),
>> Linux kernel 3.8.0-27-generic.
>>
>> When I try with IE10, it passes both tests.
>>
>> Now, because there is no way to control, to take into account possible
>> ways for the 2nd test (the -002 test) to fail, I have to create the
>> -001
>> test.
>>
>> [Addendum: 001 test should act as a precondition for 002 test.
>> Another idea would be to indicate that the "PASS!" word in 002 test
>> must
>> be on the right side of the large blue rectangular area.]

I have tweaked again

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-fill-auto-block-children-002-GT.xht

and indicated that the "PASS!" word should be *_on the right_* (side of
large blue rectangle). The "PASS!" word will appear on user agents which
do not support multi-column or which do not support 'column-span: all'
but it will be displayed *_after_* the blue rectangle.

There are many other ways to test what the original test wanted to test.
When trying to rehabilitate the original - and I've tried many things -
, then this is the best I can find.

So, when adding -moz- and -webkit- prefixes to the test

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-fill-auto-block-children-002-GT.xht

Firefox 23 (does not support -moz-column-span), Chrome 29.0.1547.57 fail
the test

and

IE10 and Opera 12.16. In my opinion, Prince9 pass the test because
overflowed content will not necessarly display and should not necessarly
display on the right in page media due to constraints in page media.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: