Re: [css3-multicol] Problems with multicol-fill-002: proposed replacements

Le Jeu 1 août 2013 23:13, "Gérard Talbot" a écrit :

> [...]
>> without remainer in order to be accurate and reliable across platform.
>>
>> 4-
>> The most important problem with the test is that the test is not truly
>> creating the appropriate, suitable conditions where 'column-fill:
>> balance' would create a rendering different from 'column-fill: auto'.
>> If
>> the test was good, then the test, in my opinion, should fail and fail
>> in
>> a predictable manner if an UA does not support 'column-fill: balance'
>

> Chrome 28.0.1500.95 does not support 'column-fill: balance' and it was
> passing (wrong positive) the test
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-fill-002.xht
>

>> and only support 'column-fill: auto'. Here, the test passes if
>> 'column-fill: balance' is removed!
>>
>> If all the inline content is expected to fill each line and to fill
>> each
>> column box, then there is no predictable difference to be expected
>> when
>> setting 'column-fill: balance' or when setting 'column-fill: auto'.
>>
>> So, ideally, a test testing 'column-fill: balance' versus
>> 'column-fill:
>> auto' needs to create not too much inline content so that it can and
>> will only fill half of all column boxes and then verify that all
>> inline
>> content fills all column boxes but only half of them (column-fill:
>> balance) as compared to filling half of all column boxes (column-fill:
>> auto).
>>
>> Imagine something like:
>>
>> div
>> {
>> column-count: 2;
>> column-gap: 1em;
>> height: 6em;
>> width: 21em;
>> }
>>
>> where digits represents single characters

>> 123 56 890 123 56</div>
>>
>> with 'column-fill: balance':
>> ------------  ------------
>> |1234567890|  |1 34567 90|
>> |12 4567 90|  |12 4567 90|
>> |123 56 890|  |123 56 890|
>> |123 56789 |  |123 56    |
>> |          |  |          |
>> |          |  |          |
>> ------------  ------------
>>
>> Same inline content with 'colum-fill: auto':
>> ------------  ------------
>> |1234567890|  |123 56 890|
>> |12 4567 90|  |123 56    |
>> |123 56 890|  |          |
>> |123 56789 |  |          |
>> |1 34567 90|  |          |
>> |12 4567 90|  |          |
>> ------------  ------------
>>
>> In conclusion, testing 'column-fill: balance' versus 'column-fill:
>> auto'
>> requires less content to fill the column boxes, shorter words (versus)
>> large column boxes. That way, the test provides a leeway where both
>> column-fill values can "express" their characteristics.
>

> Proposed replacements based on the above

Those new tests are at:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/NewTests/column-fill-auto-234.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/NewTests/column-fill-auto-234-ref.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/NewTests/column-fill-balance-234.xht

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/NewTests/column-fill-balance-234-ref.xht

> Later, the "234" substrings in the filenames of these files will be
> changed accordingly to another number. I will also remove the
> vendor-prefixes before submitting those tests.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: