Re: HTML5 template: required <meta charset="UTF-8">

Le Lun 15 octobre 2012 13:30, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>>
>> I believe <meta charset="UTF-8"> is required in HTML5 documents.
>
> It's also possible (and IMHO preferred) to just put the character
> encoding
> declaration in the MIME type.

Yes, it is.

But several HTML editors will use appropriate encoding when reading
charset of operating system may be used. Or the predefined charset
setting of the HTML editor may be used. Since creation, submission of
tests is definitely an international effort, we should try to reduce,
minimize sources of errors and sources of incompatiblity at design time,
at source-coding time.

Also, if/when documents are being checked by conformance checkers or
validators (add-on validator), they will report missing charset.
Eg. Firefox 16.0.1 Error console reports it. It says incorrect
characters will be displayed if document contains characters outside
us-ascii.

In Paris, which charset are French people usually choosing? It might be
ISO-8859-15 and not UTF-8. In Beijing, it might well be GB18030 since
any new font must support GB18030: it apparently has been a requirement
by government.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011:

Contributing to to CSS 2.1 test suite: