Re: [RC5, pre-RC6] list-style-position-applies-to-* testcases: inheritance of list-style-position versus applicability

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:36:35 +0200, Arron Eicholz
<Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> If an element does not have, does not render a list-item, then
>> list-style-
>> position can not apply to it.
>
> That is not true every property applies to every element at all times.
> It has to for inheritance to work properly.

No, that's not how CSS 2.1 uses the term. About "Applies to":

"This part lists the elements to which the property applies. All elements
are considered to have all properties, but some properties have no
rendering effect on some types of elements." [1]

So an element with display: table-row-group "has" the list-style-position
property, but the property does not apply. An assert that reads "The
'list-style-position' property applies to elements with 'display' set to
'table-row-group'." is at odds with the spec.

> The application of a property from the applies-to definition is trying
> to communicate that if a property does not apply then the property is
> reset to the initial value when specified on that type of element.

I can't figure out what this is supposed to say. If a property does not
apply to an element that simply means that the property has "no rendering
effect"[1] on that element. Do you have an example that shows a "reset"?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/about.html#applies-to
--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA