RE: content-072.htm is invalid

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Arron Eicholz wrote:

> HTML5 has a bug here then because this is a big compatibility issue with
> CSS and the attr() function.

Given that most (all?) browsers have never done this DTD-based expansion
before, and that few (no?) browsers support attr(), I don't see a
compatibility issue here. Is there a testcase I can use to see the
interoperability issue here?

> We absolutely should be testing everything that is in HTML 4.01 it’s a
> normative reference in the CSS spec. This is how we determine if a user
> agent is supporting things correctly for CSS.

If you want the test suite to be useful in the real world, there's no
point hanging on to the fiction that HTML4 represents what browsers
implement. A test suite based on HTML4's requirements rather than the
contemporary HTML specification's would just be out of touch with what
implementations do.

Furthermore, HTML4 doesn't actually require that a tree be built in the
first place, so technically you can't apply selectors to HTML4 documents.
If we're going to be pedantic about the references in the CSS spec we
should also be pedantic about the conformance requirements in the HTML4
specification.