Re: invalid tests about range of integer values

>> releases
>> because

>> minimum

>> reasonable.
>> >
>> > What was decided is, I believe, that it was reasonable to test that
>> > a reasonable range of values are supported.  It is not, however,
>> > reasonable to test that values outside that range are unsupported or
>> > truncated, based on the current spec.
>>
>> David,
>>
>> Isn't it what is supposed to happen with values outside a range?
>
> But there's no range in the spec.
>
> What we agreed to test is that values within a "reasonable" range
> are allowed.  In other words, we agreed that the test suite could
> test a *minimum* range for what's allowed.  Or, to put it another
> way, we agreed to test that browsers support *at least* a certain
> reasonable range.
>
>> many properties that allow an integer or real number as a value
>> actually
>> restrict the value to some range (...)
>
> There's no such restriction here.

David,

According to you then,

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/z-index-001.htm

and

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/z-index-012.htm

must also be considered invalid testcases because there is no range
defined for z-index.

Wouldn't it be best if CSS2.1 would define explicitly an allowed range
for integer values for properties like counter-reset, counter-increment,
z-index, widows, orphans, etc? For negative integer values when
applicable. And also define explicitly what should happen when minimum
(floor) and maximum (ceiling) values are exceeded?

Some tests will fail in some browsers only because their limit is
exceeded: over 255px for font-size, over 2^16 for z-index, etc..

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/