Re: invalid tests about range of integer values

On Monday 2010-10-04 21:46 -0700, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:

> >> [snipped]
> >>
> >> {
> >> (...)
> >> value minus 1 is correctly truncated to the minimum value.">
> >>
> >> This assertion was discussed at the CSS WG F2F in Beijing. It was
> >> decided that tests need to test some boundaries that were reasonable.
> >
> > What was decided is, I believe, that it was reasonable to test that
> > a reasonable range of values are supported.  It is not, however,
> > reasonable to test that values outside that range are unsupported or
> > truncated, based on the current spec.
>
> David,
>
> Isn't it what is supposed to happen with values outside a range?

But there's no range in the spec.

What we agreed to test is that values within a "reasonable" range
are allowed.  In other words, we agreed that the test suite could
test a *minimum* range for what's allowed.  Or, to put it another
way, we agreed to test that browsers support *at least* a certain
reasonable range.

> many properties that allow an integer or real number as a value actually
> restrict the value to some range (...)

There's no such restriction here.

-David