Opera 10.x, content-type-00x testcases and rendering modes

> On 03/10/10 20:19, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> [Addendum: Opera 10.62 passes
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/content-type-000.htm
and
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/content-type-001.htm
but fails
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/content-type-000.html
and
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/content-type-001.html
so these 2 still requires investigation.
>> ]
> The tests have different DOCTYPEs on your site compared with those as
built in the testsuite; without the system identifier in the DOCTYPE
(as
> they are on your site) the pages are in quirks mode.

Geoffrey,

I do not understand this. This doctype declaration

should trigger web standards compliant rendering mode in all browsers,
including Opera 10.62.

1- Please load this page

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/content-type-000.html

and then do F4 to open panels and then choose the info panel. The
rendering mode reported by Opera 10.62 build 6438 is web standards
compliant, not backward-compatible "quirks" mode.

2- This webpage is incomplete:

http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/presto26/doctypes/

as I chose a fairly common and used doctype declaration, otherwise not a
rare doctype declaration. That webpage should list what happens in terms
of rendering mode if
is used.

3- Handling of Some Doctypes in text/html by Henri Sivonen
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/doctype/#handling
lists doctype declarations, rendering modes and browsers. I see a S
inside a green cell for Opera 10 when
is being used. There are other websites like this reinforcing such
information.

4- All other browsers (IE8, Firefox 2+, Konqueror 4+, etc) that I know
of which trigger standards compliant rendering mode when the doctype
declared is

+CC: Daniel Schattenkirchner, David Hammond

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/