Re: [RC3] assert of absolute-non-replaced-height-004 ; numbers-units-008 rejectable

On 11/04/2010 08:21 AM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101027/html4/numbers-units-008.htm
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_4/numbers-units-008.htm
>

> Same reasoning as for numbers-units-014. If there is no specified,
> normative scaling factor for x-large or larger (relative to the 'medium'
> font size) or for adjacent indexes [1], then the used height of 1em of a
> x-large font-size can not be predicted. Therefore this can not be
> testcase-ed.
>
> CSS1 was specifying this: "On a computer screen a scaling factor of 1.5
> is suggested between adjacent indexes" [2]
>

> Anyway.. the testcase compares a 1em wide by 1em tall box with a 1em
> black "X" in ahem font: it's the exact same thing regardless of how
> x-large is scaled, rendered in user agents. The testcase, as coded, can
> not fail. If the scaling factor was specified by the spec and if it was
> - say, for/from medium to x-large - 1.5 (150%), then the testcase would
> still require adjustements.
>
> Again, numbers-units-014 and numbers-units-008 are not testing what they
> were originally trying to test. It is not possible to test larger and
> x-large if the scaling factor is unknown and unspecified by CSS 2.1
> spec.

AFAICT from the assert, the test is trying to test that em sizing
is supported even when the font-size is given as a keyword. In
that respect, the test is correct. It might be easier to use if it
were written as a red/green test, but I don't see how it's wrong.