Re: [RC3] Multiple rendering references for testcases: eg block-in-inline-*

On Saturday 2010-11-20 13:44 -0800, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> I am confused about how "Rendering References" are supposed to work.
>
> E.g.:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101027/html4/block-in-inline-insert-001a.htm
>
> has 2 rendering references:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101027/html4/block-in-inline-insert-001-nosplit-ref.htm
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101027/html4/block-in-inline-insert-001-ref.htm
>
> and those 2 differ.
>
> If you examine
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101027/html4/chapter-9.html#s9.2.1.1
> you will see that several testcases have 2 rendering references as well.
> Same thing with RC1 (20100917):
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100917/html4/chapter-9.html#s9.2.1.1
>
> How is it that all implementation reports can then report that they fail
> or pass a test with 2 different rendering references?

In the normal use of reftest, each pair of files constitutes a test
(typically referred to as the test and the reference, though these
names really only refer to which of the two files uses the feature
the author was trying to test and which of the two files uses some
other feature, which is often also worth testing).  This permits
construction of a second test using one of the files also in another
pair, along with a third file.

However, the reftests that have been contributed were incorporated
into the test suite on the assumption that the test and reference
names were exact, and every test should have exactly one reference.
This isn't an unreasonable rule, but it wasn't one that I was aware
of at the time Mozilla contributed the tests.

Probably the pairings of the tests should be adjusted to match this
assumption.

> Sometimes/often, the rendering references have validation markup errors
> too.

That seems like a separate issue worth reporting.

-David