Re: [css3-selectors] What's the point of :empty?

On Nov 2, 2010, at 7:44 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
> Really the sticking point is overflow:hidden, which is commonly used in conjunction with text-overflow to truncate content in the inline direction. In the vertical direction nothing is clipped.  Think of a button built using inline-block that clips/truncates its content horizontally (with ellipses).  If you force the baseline to be the bottom margin edge just because overflow:hidden was specified, then you can no longer baseline align this control.
>
> What the spec says makes sense to me for overflow:auto/scroll, and we could change that in WebKit I think, but there's a problem with what is specified for overflow:hidden.
>
> Sounds like what you really want is overflow-x:hidden, overflow-y:visible ... with the baseline behavior depending only on overflow-y.

Yeah, that would be an acceptable solution.  Unfortunately CSS2.1 doesn't define overflow-x and overflow-y and only talks in terms of overflow.  That's really what creates the problem here.  Maybe the language could be modified to state overflow in a particular direction without naming the specific properties?

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)