[RC4] bidi-alt-001 Re: RC4 Invalid tests

Le Mar 14 décembre 2010 3:17, Øyvind Stenhaug a écrit :
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:45:05 +0100, Gérard Talbot
> <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:
>
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/bidi-alt-001.htm
>> bidi-alt-001 should probably be invalid because "elbadaer" alt text
>> attribute does not have to be styled by direction according to section
>> 3.1
>
> On the wiki page, you have indicated that it is "fixed in RC4".

Well, then, this was premature. I will update this.

> (It was
> fixed by fantasai by setting width:0 for img so that the alt text won't
> be
> visible if the img is still considered to be a replaced element.)

There are browsers which will ignore, will override by default the
author specified image placeholder dimensions (width="0", 'width: 0')
when rendering the alt text for accessibility purposes. This is what
happens in this testcase with Firefox 3.6.13.

See
browser. display. force_inline_alttext
at
http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries#Browser%2E

Such feature is also recommended by UAAG 1, UAAG 2, Ian Hickson, etc.

The testcase original purpose as stated by its title was how the alt
text can be styled by bidirection declarations and this is not
normatively covered by the spec. Specifying width="0" and setting
'width: 0' may or may not hide the alt text in UAAG conformant browsers.
If specifying width="0" and setting 'width: 0' hide the alt text, then
the original testcase purpose is defeated, ignored.
I think width="0" and setting 'width: 0' should only apply to the src
replaced content, not to the alt text anyway.

content, then unicode-bidi applies to image alt text.">
but I can't find anywhere in the spec where it says that unicode-bidi
should apply to alt text in such case.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC4; December 10th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/