Re: [CSS 2.1] WD 07 Dec. 2010: section 15.3 on unquoted font family names with sequences of white spaces

Le Mer 8 décembre 2010 16:32, fantasai a écrit :
> On 12/08/2010 12:27 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-CSS2-20101207/fonts.html#font-family-prop
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-CSS2-20090908/fonts.html#font-family-prop
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates/WD-CSS2-20101207-20090908-diff/fonts.html#font-family-prop
>>
>> The sentence which used to say
>> "
>> If quoting is omitted, any white space characters before and after the
>> font name are ignored and any sequence of white space characters
>> inside
>> the font name is converted to a single space.
>> "
>>
>> has been removed in latest WD. Why?
>>
>> I sincerly believe it should remain, be kept as it was.
>>
>> Right now, the latest WD emphasizes quoting font-family names with
>> special
>> characters (punctuation, white spaces) and/or with reserved words. But
>> it
>> does not state (as it previous version) how to deal, how to parse font
>> name with sequences of white spaces before and/or inside and/or after
>> font
>> family names.
>>
>> There are testcases [see 1] in current version of CSS 2.1 test suite
>> which
>> were putting to test (mettre à l'épreuve) the beforementioned quote.
>
> The testcase are still valid -- the sentence you quote has been replaced
> by
>
> # If a sequence of identifiers is given as a font family name, the
> computed
> # value is the name converted to a string by joining all the identifiers
> in
> # the sequence by single spaces.
>
> ~fantasai

Hello,

Well, it seems to me (my opinion) that the sentence of CR-CSS2-20090908
was clearer, more understandable than the new one in WD-CSS2-20101207.

The before [sequence of] white spaces and the after [sequence of] white
spaces were ignored in CR-CSS2-20090908. Now, from reading the
replacement-sentence in WD-CSS2-20101207, I am not sure they are all
ignored... unless a string must start and end with no white space.

Ok, well,.. I think the sentence of CR-CSS2-20090908 was clearer, more
understandable, leading to a more predictable parsing result.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC3; October 27th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/