Re: c5504-mrgn-l-002 is invalid

On 1/12/2010 2:54 PM, fantasai wrote:
> On 10/14/2010 03:05 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/c5504-mrgn-l-002.htm
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/c5504-mrgn-l-002.xht
>> assert that something that sticks out of a page to the left should
>> cause a horizontal scrollbar. This requirement is not defined by
>> the spec and is interoperably *not* implemented.
>>
>> The test should be removed.
>
>  From http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#overflow-clipping
> # Whenever overflow occurs, the 'overflow' property specifies
> # whether a box is clipped to its padding edge, and if so,
> # whether a scrolling mechanism is provided to access any
> # clipped out content. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  From http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#overflow
> # The 'visible' value when used for the viewport must be
> # interpreted as 'auto'.
>
>  From the definition of 'overflow: auto':
> # The behavior of the 'auto' value is user agent-dependent,
> # but should cause a scrolling mechanism to be provided for
> # overflowing boxes.
>
> The test is marked as 'should', and is therefore not required
> to pass. But I don't see any reason to remove it as it does
> not in fact appear to be invalid.
>
> ~fantasai

I don't agree with this reason. The test case may not be invalid but
what is the testing?

The negative margin on the <p> causes it to go into hidden overflow
which begins at the margin edge of the <body>. A test done with RTL
would produce a scrollbar. Changing part of and adding this CSS produces
a scrollbar.

body { text-align:right; }
.five { margin-right: -10px; }

Authors often use a negative margin to hide particular elements /
content within the hidden overflow. It's not a case that it should or
should not be hidden, it's what has been implemented for years.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/