Re: Advice sought about combining css testing with databasing of code variables

> David Southwell wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > This is my first posting to this list which I joined for the following
> > reasons.
> >
> > 1.  I understand that those with substantial experience of css can be
> > found here.
> > 2. The focus of the list is upon css testing.
> > 3. I am thinking of embarking upon a project which
> >    (a) needs to validate existing css code and having done so
> >    (b) can then extract css code variables, the snippet of code that
> > contains each variable and then index the variables and the snippets and
> > store the extracted data in a mysql database.
> > 4. I am in serious need of advice and guidance about tools that could
> > help me achieve these goals.
> >
> > It occurs to me that any tool capable of parsing css may also be capable
> > of extracting snippets and identifying variables. The question for me is
> > what tools might provide a good starting point.
> >
> > May I thank you in advance for your replies
>
> CSS doesn't have variables currently, so I'm not sure what you're trying to
>  do.
>
> ~fantasai

Sorry

I should have used the term value.

e.g. a color code is a value which really needs to be a variable!!! So I
suppose I am trying to find a way around the variables limitation of css which
IMHO is its greatest weakness.

What I want to do is to use a parser to identify "values" in a css file.
Replace those values witha placeholder e.g $my_color to generate an enhanced
.css file [.ecss] . Then create a ecss file configuration utility which
enables an adminstrator to write
$my_color = "red"
in a  configuration file Subsequentlt a .css file is generated by repplacing
the placeholders with the desired value from the configuration file.

David