Re: attribute-value-selector-004.xht not well formed

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:26:47 -0000, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Correction: "in a *correct* implementation of CSS, you can never reach
> that scenario". These are test cases; they cannot, by definition, assume
> the implementation to be correct.
>
> David's proposal does verify that p did not turn red but then assumes
> the [1badAttr] selector to be the only possible cause. So if my own
> amateurish early-stage CSS implementation selected [1badAttr] and had a
> cascade bug causing color to not get overridden in this case - or maybe
> simply no or very little cascading code yet - I would pass his version
> of the test with flying colors because XHTML well-formedness demands it.
> Would that be helpful to me as an implementor ?

You would fail a bunch of other tests if that was the case. The goal is
having a correct implementation of CSS, of course.

> You may call this overly conservative. But I'd rather be conservative
> and thorough first, well-formed second. This is not a web site. It's a
> test suite.

It's not really about being well-formed, it's about the test not making
that much sense given what CSS parsing already requires.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/