Re: Microsoft contributing test cases to the CSS WG

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 2008-03-05 09:26 -0800, Chris Wilson wrote:
>> The test cases are published now at http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/csstestpages/default.htm.
>
> It also might be good if your test suite page mentioned that the
> tests assume a logical resolution of 96dpi; that's a non-obvious
> requirement in addition to Ahem.  Many users may already meet it,
> but many won't.  (A number of the border and margin tests depend on
> this; I switched to 96dpi at that point so I didn't notice all such
> tests.)
>
> I *think* the CSS 2.1 test suite documents this assumption
> somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I looked just now.

It's listed on http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/ in
the second list.

I would like us to avoid making tests that rely on this assumption,
especially as higher-res devices are becoming more common. CSS has
very particular rules for handling different screen resolutions,
and making this assumption reduces the test suite's ability to
evaluate UA support for handling such devices according to the spec.