Re: Assumptions about UA default style sheets

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 00:34:32 +0200, fantasai
> <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> I've added the general assumptions used throughout the test suite to the
>> index page:
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/CSS/CSS2.1-test-suite/data/index.html
>>
>> Any style rule that's /not/ covered by that list is game for being
>> explicitly added to or overridden in a test if an implementor
>> complains that his UA's default style sheet doesn't meet the test's
>> expectations.
>>
>> If an HTML UA's default style sheet doesn't match those style rule
>> assumptions, then it has bigger problems than passing the CSS2.1 test
>> suite.
>
> You missed thead, etc.

Intentionally. None of the tests use it.

> Also, I wonder what all the fuss is about. If a testcase renders
> different in two desktop browsers because of the default style sheet
> isn't that a good reason for aligning more? Are there any concrete
> examples where this is found to be a problem?

This is a CSS Test Suite, not a Default Style Sheet for HTML Test Suite,
and software other than desktop browsers will be using it. So while yes,
desktop browsers should be trying to converge on their default style
sheets, it's not what we're supposed to be testing here.

~fantasai