Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-pseudo] highlight pseudos and custom properties (#6264)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 16:41:02 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Ah yeah, custom properties should be allowed. Hm, we should make sure the same applies to other non-tree-abiding pseudos; custom properties should always be available.

(`var()` is always allowed; that's not restrictable. It just needs custom properties to be allowed to be meaningful. ^_^)

> If so, does the rule stating that non-inherited properties are to be treated as inherited, apply to registered custom properties where inherit = false?

Good question. Hm. I suspect yes, they should have the same fallback inheritance, for the same reason we fallback-inherit the existing properties. I wouldn't be broken-hearted if we decided the other way for impl reasons, but I'd prefer giving them the same behavior.

(Just to be clear for people, like me, who weren't aware of [this rule](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-pseudo-4/#highlight-cascade): properties like 'background' don't inherit *normally*, but if nothing else defines them, they'll try to inherit from the parent *highlight* of the same type, so you can set 'background' on a block's highlight and the highlights within it will work as expected. This way you don't have to predict exactly what element to set things on.)

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6264#issuecomment-845278240 using your GitHub account