Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-scoping] Handling global name-defining constructs in shadow trees (#1995)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 23:36:59 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Following the discussion in #5693 about @counter-style, it seems that it's more compatible with browsers' existing behavior to have tree-scoped names "inherit" into descendant shadows. (Currently, the spec enforces stronger encapsulation and *only* lets you see names defined in your tree scope.

I've gone ahead and edited the spec accordingly, as I do think it's a reasonable behavior, but I wanted to check in that this edit is okay with people in general. I need to start pushing edits to other specs to actually hook this concept, and want it solid before I do so.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1995#issuecomment-840895144 using your GitHub account