Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-counter-styles] Clarification on use of the term "speak-as" and possible alternatives (#6040)

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 23:35:44 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I agree with @MatsPalmgren's comments in https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6040#issuecomment-805485843 . The `speak-as` descriptor is fundamentally about how to read the counter out loud. It may or may not be applicable to other AT output, it really depends on the output and what it's capable of.

I pushed some edits to make this clearer. Basically, the idea is that the counter-style overall defines a visual representation, with `speak-as` defining its speech representation, and AT outputting to another medium should be allowed to use either form or some synthesis informed by both. So I've added the following text to clarify this (r=@tabatkins):

@dot-miniscule @xiaochengh @MatsPalmgren Let us know if this works for you?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6040#issuecomment-840894769 using your GitHub account