Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-scrollbars] Add `wide` value to `scrollbar-width` (#6351)

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 20:12:26 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> When is there really a case where the author wants to control the scrollbar on a specific part of the website to make it thin?

> There's no real necessary use case for the "thin" option either, other than a designer's preference.

Disagreed, there is a use case beyond author aesthetic preferences for `thin`: if a scrollable component of a web page is small, every last bit of space might be of value, and thin scrollbars might be a better fit for such a thing than a large one.

However, I do not see a parallel for authors requesting wide scroll-bars. Users, sure, but authors, I don't see it.

> Just because there may not be a clear use case for it, doesn't mean that there isn't a use case.

We don't add features to the platform just in case there might be a not-yet-identified use case. Moreover, we can always extend this and add `wide` (or some other keyword) later if there's a good reason for it.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6351#issuecomment-888590027 using your GitHub account