Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-lists] [css-pseudo] need to define blockification of outside markers / interaction of display: inline list-item with list-style-position (#6440)

From: Emilio Cobos Álvarez via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 16:06:17 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Why do you want to do it at used-value time? Blockifications happen at computed-value time in other cases, so it seems inconsistent.

Not always, for cases where the blockification can't happen at computed-value time. For example, for a rendered `<legend>` element of a `<fieldset>`, Firefox blockifies at used-value time, because you can't determine whether you're a rendered legend at computed-value time.

There's more background in https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/6310 (and I'd be ok to change this to match Blink tbh, which always blockifies all `<legend>` elements, but @MatsPalmgren didn't seem pretty on-board with that).

> OK, I see that in Firefox the marker is still outside in `<details style="display: inline list-item; list-style-position: outside;">` even though it produces an inline box. Why?

Because `<details>` ignores `display` and creates a block container per spec.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by emilio
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/6440#issuecomment-878404144 using your GitHub account